MuLinux 4MB

From: Gerrit Lammert (lammert@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 00:17:36 CET

Hi folks,

old topic, I know. sorry.

I tried to install muLinux 11r4 on an 486/50 4MB-Notebook the following ways
(ms-dos 6.22):
(not in that order)

1. unpack.bat -> boot.bat:
booting kernel, found compressed image, then "Couldn't get a free page",
Kernel panic.

2. unpack.bat -> makefi.bat:
rawrite is writing the image, after rebooting, same as boot.bat (1.)

3. unpack.bat -> maker.bat:
- fdformatting is ok, creating "root"-image is ok, rawriting doesn't work
(tried several floppies).
- so (in slackware-linux) I did dd the root-image to the superformated disk,
returned to dos, started lowmem.bat and waited...
...the kernel is coming up, it asks for the rootdisk, loads it, everything
fine.
I configured swap (linux-swap-partition) and the script asks me, what to do.
I chose it should install on c:/linux, but it hangs after saying "creating
root" or similar.

Problem: The dd-command says
------
not enought space left
in: 3445
out 3444
------
seems the extracted root.tgz is larger than 1.72MB. This might be the
problem why rawrite didn't work (althought it stopped right at the
beginning).
I will next try to delete something from the root.tgz before dd, stay tuned.

4. In Linux, used mu -i, chose to do a root+boot+usr-disk.
As suggested in FAQ (5.9) for 4 MB (append some kernel-parameter to reduce
the ramdisksize):
lilo-bootprompt doesn't accept so many arguments, it starts always after
about 70 characters (the parameterstring is about 80). btw, the
ramdisk_start is wrong, isn't it?
So i edited the lilo.172-file and made a new disk. I tried this several
ways, no success

5. In Linux, tried mu -l, not working ("can not chroot...")

...gerrit

PS:
- The Link to the Download-Section on Top of the Homepage isn't working.
- why not making the dostools.zip selfexpanding, one wouldn't need any
aditional tools then.