Re: ppp / floppy vs. umsdos

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 00:07:07 CET

On 12 Jan 2001, at 0:32, Alfie Costa <mulinux@sunsite.dk> soliloquized:

> I haven't tried to get PPP working on a single v11.4 floppy yet.

Booting from a new v11.4 floppy, mu ran 'wizard'. It asked if I wanted the
default "Minimal components". Yes.

I set up the ISP stuff. 'wizard' still crashes when I tried to change "Bettino
Craxi" from one of the submenus. Started again, and did not disturb Bettino.

Ran 'ppp-on'. Dots were printed, but the modem didn't call my ISP.

Rebooted the floppy. Profile 'NONE'. Used plain old 'setup', not 'wizard'.
After some trouble deciding what needed setting up, (port, isp, pop3, I think),
I got 'mu' to connect to my ISP.

Maybe it was choosing 'Miminal Components' that caused the trouble? This
option appears to install a lot of networking stuff I don't use.

I haven't yet tried 'wizard' without choosing 'Minimal Components.'