Re: Modeline report - again

From: Sven Conrad (SvenConrad@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 15:19:25 CET

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> > Yep. I have access to ~20 Computers and only two are identical in this
> > aspect. All others have different monitors and/or graphics adapters.
>
> You will test next muLinux X setup!

That would be a very hard test. E.g. there is a SIS VGA, that entirely
is
not running with linux (only very poor resolutions / refreshrates)
Most of these Computers are Win only, so it is only mulinx Disk based
test possible.

> > The SVGA server works with most VGA adapters. But there are some Chips
> > like S3, S3V and all ATI (incl. Rage XXX) which are not supported by
> > this server.
> > But, what is the point in support SVGA versus other servers?
> >

> My problem is that: does the XF86_SVGA binary have a good change
> to run on more machine then the XF86_VGA16 binary?

No, not more. Since all adaptors are VGA compatible, VGA16 is allways
a fallback (640x480 16 Colors). Only HGC, CGA and EGA cards may not
work. (They do with other servers)
On the other side, whenever the card is supported (most are) nobody
like to use the VGA16. Most "FAT" distros start SVGA as default,
not VGA16 any more. So, if you want to put only one server onto the
disk, this is a hard decision. May be we need a configurable server.

Has anyone heard about a VESA X-Server. This server would be slower
than the accelerated servers, but would run on allmost all newer
VGA Cards.

/sven