Re: Developing under MS Windows

From: Sven (SvenConrad@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 15:45:04 CET

At 10:19 AM 1/4/01 +0100, you wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 12:16:12AM +0100, Maxim Belooussov nicely wrote:
> >
> > But the best thing about QT is that you can write apps using QT
> > library for both Windows and Unix/Linux, you only choose at
> > compilation time what OS you are going to use.
>
>Qt sounds very interesting, but it cost very much!
>
> > What are you going to write for Windows that requires C++ compiler?
> > Some serious software? ;)
>
>Mah, simply a sort of setup.exe for muLinux with a GUI, able to unpack
>the archives, or also to define minimal customization, etc. I saw
>something like in the recent Mandrake, in a demostration in Firenze.

Ok, have you ever looked for the big competion of qt: gtk?
(www.gtk.org)
I programmed some liddle programms with gtk (C and C++). The
GUI is easy to build with glade. Normaly I program for linux
or solaris, but there is allso a port to win32. GTK programms can
be recompiled under win32 and look absolutily identical under win32
and X (not everybody like this).
The most known gtk program is gimp.
The good new is: gtk is totaly free. It is lgpl licenced!

An other route may be the borland c compiler. This is allso free,
but not the IDE. I never used the compiler without IDE, so I can
not say, if this is usable.

/sven