Re: New way to install.. was Re: another mod...

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 10:16:25 CET

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 12:35:18AM +0100, Gerrit Lammert nicely wrote:

> It only makes sense (and thats why I mentioned it), if you can use an newer
> version of an add-on with an older base-floppy.

I provided a script "load" to load any new addon, but work obiously only
for UMSDOS.

We have to transfer, for example, the setup/smbd code on the SRV floppy-disk.
If the SRV addon is loaded, it must run every resourse linked to it.
This is a system "addon-driven", not "resource-driven".

I answered to this question already 10-15 times: you know, to repeat
the same things it is not very interesting for anyone.
So, If I change a byte in the Setup script and a byte in the smbd.fun
code, I have to trasfer on the site 4M?

I also explained the crude reality: to keep all important code in the
single /setup directory help me in developing, reproducing and publishing
new stuff, and this simple solution is still prone to error.

A sort of object-oriented programming is already provided with addon:
in fact, the addon loader ONLY unpack the addon then run the
script "prolog" located in /usr/XYZ/bin/prolog.

> But as muLinux is much smaller, everybody should be able to efford an
> internet-installation... :-)

I will try, but only for fun.

> Please, never change anything althought you don't stand behind it.
> My intention (and that of Jochen too, I suppose) was to just mention this
> idea. It's up to you to like it too or to think it nonsense.
> Let there be a discussion about it if you are unsure.

The addon-driven idea is conceptually the best way: it is standard in
may distro, like Debian. But in Debian we have a pletora of
package-mantainer, so any "add-on" has it own style. But mulinux?

In the future, having time to spent, I will search a solution not
expensive and will do a try, but believe me: it seems to me a little
revolution in the actual structure.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen