Re: Cripple the Base Floppy ??? (was: New way to install.. was Re: another mod...)

From: Gerrit Lammert (lammert@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 12:26:25 CET

Oh no, please everytime I wrote about this topic, I tried to make totally
clear, that this is just a suggestion (read my last lines).
A have absolutely no intetion to persuade anyone (especially Michele) to do
anything!

> > You are not transferring any intelligence, you are sharing ist ;-)
> ^^^
>
> Besides from that smiley, are trying to discuss or to /persuade/ here?

First of all, I'm just talking about the script that setup the addons, none
of the other rustic replacements. They MUST (thats kind of persuasion ;-) )
stay at the first floppy.
The sentence above is probably misunderstood because of my incorrect
english. I meant:
IF Michele WOULD place the mentioned scripts to the add-ons, it would would
not be at all less intelligent. Thats why I told that story about a team.
I thought that it would be clear, that everything I write only can be my
opinion and so a suggestion. Who am I to try to persuade someone or
something. I have no active part in muLinux and therefor absolutely no right
to persuade something!
The smiley is because that sentence sounds kind of patetic to me

> this happens each year: every year we once or twice face somebody
> bringing his/her really strong arguments for changing the way muLinux
> is designed and crippleing the Base Floppy.

It wasn't my proposal in first place. I just tried to make clear what
(always only in my opinion) would be better and what would be worse.
And I think every Linux-Gnu-Open Source project lives because of user
feedback and suggestion.

> You are not right with that 'not' above.
>
> Your proposal means in reallity thyt the Base Floppy will not be such
> a powerfull tool anymore after that 'intellicence sharing' process
> has been applied.
>
> I do not know about the others but I do NOT WANT to get a muLinux
> that fits best for people looking for a Mini-Distro to be installed
> on low-ressource machines WHEN this means the Base Floppy seeing
> loosing even more of its functionallity!

After all its just the add-on-description, there will be more free space to
add something new.

> Bring your arguments for this but - please - do not try to persuade
> us by telling nice stories about a team and its leader and so on!

I have to argue and bring arguments now because I feel completely
misunderstood by you :-(

> There is a group of add-ons - NOT a team of players!

It was an metaphor about how *I* see it and how it *could* be. Not how it
*should* or even *must* be!

> If the Base Floppy will stop being that extremely usefull tool that
> it is today you will loose many the 'hard core users' who want to
> use muLinux as a TOOL - not as an easy to install Mini-Distri for
> their 486 machines.
>
> You further say:
> > It covers know the space between strictly single-disk distros
> > and real big ones.
>
> That is ONE way you can see it.
> Another way is that you see it being a great 1-disk Linux tool
> with the *option* to be enhanced by using the add-ons.

What will be lost, if the base-floppy is stripped of the
add-on-configurator?
It has just the same funcionality. There is just some KB more free disk
space and therefor the description of the add-ons missing.

> I don't like the idea of this *option* having converted into a *must*.

I don't know why you did understand me that way :-((

> > By the way, I DO reinstall my windows and linux every few month,
> > just to get rid of the things I once used, then forgot and now
> > don't need anymore.
>
> ???
>
> You are just kidding here?

No, but you forgot the two smileys (I use them much too often by the way). I
well know, that this is not the way its meant and that it should be the
highest goal to have a well running system for a very long time.
You also forgot, that I said I do the reinstalling, because I like it. But
that is way out of topic.

Conclusion:
I'm sorry, if someone might have had the impression that I'm triing to force
things.
Let me say that this is absolutely not my intetion!!

greetings...

...gerrit