Re: TCPDUMP...SNIFFIT...

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 14:56:36 CET

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 10:58:46AM +0100, Jochen Cichon nicely wrote:
> I use the Fist disk only, but there is no tcpdump :(
> Because tcpdump only starts trafshow (SRV)
>
> So what about that: if we use the first disk and type tcpdump...
> we get a sniffit output???

I'm ashamed to admit that, but I just move sniffit on the WKS addon!
Oh, friends! I got *severe* disk space problem on the first floppy.
After a first try, I got (-4 Kb uncompressed), so I moved out
sniffit.

I do not know other solution. I absolutely need of a couple a kbytes
in the /etc directory, or developing will stops.

I know only another alternative: to move out of the first floppy-disk
any ethernet card. On the other hand, a floppy with only ne2000, 3c509
and 3c59x has no chance to to work on every machine.

Maybe, I have to leave on the first floppy disk only common drivers,
able to talk with any PC: ppp, plip, pcspeaker, keyboard and mouse modules

So, please help me:

                1) to remove only the sound-blaster module? (very big)
                2) to remove all ethernet cards?

> --minitcpdump-----------------------------------------------------
> #!/bin/sh
> sniffit -x -F eth0 -s 172.16.11.169 &
> sniffit -x -F eth0 -t 172.16.11.169 &
> read x
> killall sniffit
>
> Hm ok. eth0 is the first parameter (replace with $1)
> but, the IP :( ok we can create a huge Pipe for that :)
>
> ip=`/sbin/ifconfig eth0|grep inet|sed 's/.* addr://g'|sed 's/ .*$//g'`
>
> So now we have the $ip.
> But I think there is a much more easy way to get that IP. But how ? :/

I have a get_ip() in /etc/utils: ip=`get_ip eth0`, but it works
exactly like your, so ...

> Ciao Joschi....
>
> PS: Tnx to Michele. Cos of the missing tcpdump I've learned something about
> sniffit

Mulinux introduced the 'subtractive knowledge' concept.
Less pre-made commands -> more tricks. I will remove also "route", thus
you may implementing routing poking directly in the kernel
memory /proc/kcore :-)

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen