Re: another mod...

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 15:20:23 CET

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 01:24:41PM +0100, Jochen Cichon nicely wrote:
> > This has been discussed earlier. In fact, putting all the setup stuff on the first
> > disk ease Michele's life a lot. And removing it doesn't lead to a significant
> > space gain. You can test it : remove all the setup.fun and setup.cnf unrelated to
> > the first floppy, you don't gain a lot.
>
> I didn't mean SETUP. I think off the config files in /etc/ for example,
> or some scripts (and some links) which can only be started if there is the
> SRV and/or WKS Addon installed.

The most part of this directories or symlinks in /etc are simply
re-created by Setup, at any run, but I'm not totally sure if this
apply for *all* setups (some setup is 3-4 years old).
Better think is to not remove the symlink. Why? You can run in trouble
with inodes, during Setup. The number of inodes is fixed on the
linux ext2fs (I have a parameter in mu.cnf for them)

> And in that case we don't need that scritp (because we can't start it)
> So we can replace it by another script we (might) need.
>
> Sure it's not the MEGAspace we earn. But mostly (for scripties..) we don't need
> MUCH space. only a bit.
>
> I'll give that a try at home :) looking what scripts that are and where we can
> move them. Maybe today.

An hard work: to clean up the house is a must when Xmas is approaching,
because more relative will visit us :-)

The truth is ( I'm ashamed to admin that): I've today the control
only over about 90% of any files, link and symlinks in muLinux. I
think, after deeply exploration, 200-300 files might be removed,
because they call anything, or they are autoreferencing itself,
and so on.

In addition: surely 20-30% of code in /setup/fun is never called,
because inusual, or simply obsolete. Maybe, I can gain a 1k (compressed),
or 50K (uncompressed) a the cost of 5-6 new bug-fix releases :-)

But I think it is *normal*; experts in genetic, genoma and DNA
teach us: also our internal code contains a lot of garbage.
Or I'm wrong? (we have genetist on the list, I know).

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen