Re: ftp

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 18:38:06 CET

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 04:26:41PM +0100, Mark Roberts nicely wrote:

> > on the desktop
> > # cd /desktop/work
> > # tar -cf- * > all.tar
> > # cat all.tar | nc -l -p 5555
>
> Lookout! You left out an important space. You need to type
>
> # tar -cf - * > all.tar
>
> otherwise the archive will be created on top of your file aaa.important
> (or whatever) and all.tar will remain empty.

No, no: "-cf-" works. "f" is an options and take a single argument.
"-" is the argument. The getopt() function in C allows arguments
attached without space. Try it!

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen