Re: To refuse going to Firenze??? (was: To trash the FAQ?)

From: HTom4722@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 16:23:09 CET

In a message dated 12/3/00 8:10:00 AM Central Standard Time,
m.andreoli@tin.it writes:

> I do not know if in other country differentiation is so strong as in
> Italy. Due to century-old separation between any single country in Italy,
> language in Sardinia is radically different from language in Sicilia
> or in Veneto.

Here it is more caused by the various waves of immigrants, I believe, as well
as the size of the country. There are corners of Minnesota, for example,
where many Finns settled, others where Swedes or Germans or ... and these
mother tongues flavored the accents of the children. Other areas had large
Italian or Spanish or Mexican or Irish or .... It is said, by those who
study these things, that from the speech of an adult you can determine his
birthplace, within about fifty miles.

> Think about that: Antonio Gramsci -- italian intellectual (it was from
> Sardinia), dead in URSS after long detention in a fascist italian
> prison -- had been hospitalized, raving, in an hospital of Moscow.
> After calling an italian interpreter from the Italian Ambassy, with
> enourmous astonishment, the doctors discovered that the two italians
> was not able to communicate between!

!!! Well, on second thought, there are some New Yorkers that I find very
difficult to understand when they are speaking -- not that this ever stopped
any of them from talking!

You must be emphatic about how few trees are sacrificed for Linux; there are
far fewer books needed, as much of the best documentation is available
on-line and publication only rearranges electrons and magnetic fields. :)

htom

This message brought to you by recycled electrons.