Re: A NEWBIE IN TROUBLES - Prifiles

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 16:04:55 CET

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 02:38:02PM +0100, Mark Roberts nicely wrote:

> Is boot_free a number of bytes that the user is not let use _although_
> they are free, or is it a number of bytes magically free'd by
> the "mu"-script? To be more precise: Change the value (default is 35kb) to
> what? 10kb or 100kb?

If you do "cat ./free" in the Mu-builder directory, you are able to
know the actual free Kb on the floppy. Currently it is 14kb (?), so
you can safety add other 13Kb to your BOOT_FREE value: the space
for a ... single additional profile :-(

Actually, a single profile take about 11k. But they are stored in
a single compressd gzip archive. Previoulsy, the compressor was
bzip2. I do not remember why I changed idea. May be, I will remedy.

For the profiles, we can implement a sort of "differential" storage.
It can store only what it is really changed. Maybe, after 15-20
releases the new implementation may stabilize :-)

Please, look in the /setup/cnf/store: this is also stored with
the profiles. I will check. Maybe, we have some trash in it,
because 11kb for a profile is very too much.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen