Re: mu105.zip available now for testing only

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 09:13:17 CET

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 09:12:02PM -0800, winsor SMP nicely wrote:
> greetings Bob,
>
> When using some older machines(UART 16450 serial ports) 9600k is just about as fast as data can be transmitted reliably.
> If using an internal modem or aftermarket serial card (UART 16550+)
> you should be able to attain higher speeds.
> As far as being unable to open an initial console, I've encountered this problem with several other Linux distributions, usually it has to do with settings in /etc/inittab??? last setting in the consoles section either vt100 or Linux
> BTW: I was gone on vacation for 7 days.........er uh..........I needed it*grin*

You can't simply pkzip the c:\linux without change the /dev/root symlinks!
This has to point the dos disk name. If you run UMSDOS from /dev/hda1, you
have to put:
                /dev/root -> /dev/hda1

Maybe this is your problem? Create it booting with a floppy mulinux.
This make complex to distribute such .zip archive. Only a patch in the
kernel may solve the problem. A patch that force /linuxrc also for
installed system: the script SCAN every disk in the system and, if found
it a c:\linux, it create the /dev/root link. Read-root mounting will
follow ...

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen