Re: smail problems, fetchmail ok....

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 18:39:30 CET

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 05:05:27PM +0000, Zeimet Alex nicely wrote:
> hello,
>
> I've still problems with sendmail. I use mutt to send and fetch mails. To
> fetch them is ok, by using the pop host pop.gmx.net. The mail host is
> mail.gmx.net. But I cannot send mail trough it. I've send this message
> through mail.etat.lu from my work, test sending was ok.
> By using gmx. I was not able to create a log_file.

you may run the queue with

                # smail -d9 -q 2> /tmp/log_file

> The message in the
> returned mail from the mailer-daemon is the following:
> Mailer-Daemon@mulinux
> mail failed, returning to sender
> winchester@gmx.de.... transport smtp: 552 Cannot resolve your domain.

The destination host refuse your message, but smail itself does its
work. Something wrong in your headers.

> So I suppose there must be something different from mail.etat.lu and
> mail.gmx.net.
>
> can anybody help me to solve the problem?

SMAIL is covered in the book "Linux Network Administration", by M. Welch.

Try to edit the file:

                /usr/srv/etc/smail/routers

and uncomment the block relative to inet_bind: this use the MX
world-wide DB. Maybe, in the final point, the server that really does
the mail work is not winchester@gmx.de

Sorry, the topics overflow my knowledge.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen