Re: Qram=A0manager?=

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 21:25:42 CET

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 07:47:29PM +0100, Dumas Patrice nicely wrote:
> Michele Andreoli a écrit : The Big Parent
>
> > generated all other child, cloning itself, following a process that
> > in Biology is called "mitosi" (but I'm not sure if the comparition
> > is evaluable, or if "meiosi" it is better)
>
> Yes, the mitosis image is a good one. There is a total replication of the
> genetic information. The new cell is exactly the same as the old as is a
> forked child.
>
> In the meiosis, one half is lost. The meiosis happens only for sexual
> cells (gametes), and when the sexual cells having lost one half of their
> genetic content meet, they merge their genetic materials and the new cell
> (the egg cell) has a normal genetic information.

Exciting ... In some way, muLinux itself is born with "meiosis", because
I merget genetic material from RedHat 4.2 and Debian 1.3. After that,
very lazy, muLinux choose to clone itself using "mitosis", because
partner is difficult to find for a floppy system.

> > A child-birth which doesn't involve a partner is also common
> > in some species of vegetals
>
> There are 2 ways for doing a child without partner, one is auto
> fecondation, for species being male and female.
> It is common in a lot of vegetals, and some animals can do it also. I know
> a lot of animals being of both sexes (called hermaphrodism). A lot of
> marine animals can do autofecondations. (in fact they release their
> gametes in the see, and some times there are mechanisms so that gametes
> from one individual cannot merge with gametes from the same one, but
> sometimes not).
> There is another way, called parthenogenesis, where there is a meiosis but
> the sexual cells from the same individual merge. For example, there are
> some insects, I remember only the daphnies, and also some lizards that
> reproduce that way.

So, "autofecondation" and "parthenogenesis": parthenogenesis? Is this
name related to Venus, borned from the sea?

> > (a part from the auto-erotism we
> > did during adolescence, and more)
>
> Some animals do it too...

:-))

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen