Re: Newbie-questions

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 20:10:51 CET

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 12:24:40PM +0100, GROSSE_Ch nicely wrote:
> => What are the differences between the different Swap possibilities:
> - Swap partition
> - Swap résident (that's the one I used).
> - Swap local.

Basically, we have only two kind of swap-space: swap-files and
swap-partitions.

In the case of "swap-partition", we swap in a dedicated partition,
located in a HD of yours, an *properly* formatted as "Linux-swap" device.

Now, swap-file: a file can be "local" to your filesystem, for example
in /tmp/my_swap_file, or "reside" to some other, mountable, disk
partition, for example: your DOS partition.

If you cloned in UMSDOS, "local" is the best choice.

> => What do I need to realize an Internet connexion ? (it seems that setting
> PPP and PORT is not sufficient).

setup/port; setup/isp; finally "ppp-on"

> BTW the DIALD set up is not clear to me:
> - NAMESERVER ? Is it the DNS of my provider or the domain or something
> else ?
> - NETWORK ? Same questions.

The DNS of your provider, in the form x.y.z.t
NETWORK is the network definition of your LAN, for example 192.168.1.0.
You do not need to use diald to go in Internet.

> => How could I print the screen ?

If you enabled the gpm mouse server, you can "cut" the screen with
the left-mouse; then, you can open a text file with your preferred
editors, then, after going in insert-mode, you can "paste" with
3th (or 2th) mouse button. Now, you has the screen in a file.
You can print it with "lpr my_file".
As alternative, you can redirect the standard-output to your printer
with a command like <em/my_command| lpr </em>

> => Do I, REALLY, need a SERIAL mouse to obtain Xwindows (via X11 addon).
> That's my case: a PS/2 mouse doesn't work.

My mouse is PS/2 and X works. Surely, your mouse isn't working.
Please, start the gpm server: this is the best test for your mouse.

> => Once MuLinux is installed in UMSDOS, is it possible, to gain room on my
> HDD, to delete some files in the Mulinux directory or why not the whole
> directory ?

MuLinux is so little: what directory you plan to remove? If you are
lucky, you will gain 10-20k.

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen