Re: An ambitious idea(but a bit off-topic)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 21:43:55 CET

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 05:17:49PM +0100, Gerrit Lammert nicely wrote:
> Hi Michele,
>
> > Zimmermann is a very, very clever guy: it added
> > in pgp a routine that detect if manual are absent from the system
> > and it refuse to work.
>
> What a way for a poet to get his work read.
> just write something you want the peolpe to read, then write an incredible
> excellent Software (some mathematics-software for example, that you give the
> question (in no special form) and it than explains to you, what it does to
> solve it and why it does it that way) implement this routine and, voila, all
> that want to use the prog have to read his masterpiece. ;-))

I have to agree. Mr Zimmermann has an ego-zone large as the universe.
But he can ... Ok, he did'nt developed from scratch neither the RSA
public-key algorithm, neither the IDEA algorithm, neither the MD5SUM
alg., the basic material in pgp, but he wrote the pgp utility and
also promoting legal battles with US Government about cryptography, etc.

In the USA to export cryptography is still considered like to
export weapons and, from some rarefact point of view, this is in
part true, because cryptography can be used bad guys (such a
pedophile) to hidded its compromising material.

Where starts freedom?

> > How to add a similar feature in muLinux? Can I add some question,
> > at random intervall, and if user can't answer, I will shutdown
> > the machine? :-))
>
> Hehe...
>
> > Q: what is the major number of the second floppy driver?
> you mean 1? (fd1)

root@server.sanvittore.it:/dev# ls -l fd1
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 1 Jul 5 19:43 fd1

Major 2, minor 1.

> > Q: what release number are you running?
> 10r0
>
> > Q: is a floppy 1722k really a different media from 1440k?
> nop
>
> > Q: where the kernel you are running is located?
> ups, that one is tricky in /boot I guess?

False! You you run a RAM muLinux, the kernel is on the floppy-disk.
If you run an UMSDOS mulinux, the kernel is in c:\linux\startup\boot
Ops! If you run UMSDOS, you are right, becasue the file is really
the same .

> > Q: Please, write down the name of the Linux kernel Author
> Linus Torvalds
>
> > Q: Miquel van Smoorenburg, chi era costui?
> Naja, das war dann wohl irgend so ein wichtiger Typ (Italiener nehme ich
> an). ;-))

Ehh? Karl-Heinz, help!
Miquel van Smoorenburg had firmed every /etc/rc.* boot files
in many Linux distribution, but I absolutely do not know nothing
about it, as for Carneade.

> But now (more serious):
> What about a kind of support-collector-formular-script?
> Implemented in muLinux, which by it self collects data as the
> version-number, wich devices are installed...
> If a user submits a Problem, you will be sent the relevant information about
> system to.
>
> Problem is: If mailsystem or network doesn't work, this can't help either.
> :-(

A daemon that check periodically the machine and send an email to
this mailing-list when user run ppp? Argh: this is Orwell!
But maybe I misunderstod?

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen