Re: An ambitious idea (+ some introductory gossip) --> All in One CD

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 08:42:33 CET

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 12:25:58AM +0100, Massimo nicely wrote:

> Solution: today PC have always a CD drive, and can
> CD-reboot. I feel people (at least my guys) would have
> liked very much ALSO (not: _only_) to be able to BUILD
> a single CD with BASE+ADDONS+setup_tool aboard, for
> RAM or true ext2 installations.

I have this CD (I made it running the script "roclone" from
an UMSDOS muLinux). The CD run perfectly and I donate it to
a lot of my friend.

> Is it impossible to conceive such a possibility? You
> talked about CD-burning tools. Good. I'd like, after
> having downloaded anything in a /some/dir (or perhaps
> \some\dir), to find a CD-burning batch that can make
> the >>muLinux CD<<.

The El-Torito Mulinux gets produced like other mutants does,
i.e. from a working muLinux. muLinux, simply, reply itself
on a CDROM, arranging the stuff in order to mantain /, /tmp
in RAM, /usr on the CD (in a loop filesystem).

About SRV/WKS: this is only a surreptitious way to have an EXT
with much more disk-space. I never talked about revolutionary
changes. Full-stop.

Now, with 3 floppy-disk (BASE, WKS, SRV) you have a complete
last-century UNIX system on your hands.

> PS:
> > P.S: anycase, the "Avogadro Number" belongs Physics of Chemistry?
> > Ah, saperlo!
>
> Physics, of course. ANYTHING belongs to Physics, by default.

No dirlo, ti prego!

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen