Re: Time synchronization

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 13:59:47 CET

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 09:36:59AM +0100, Ondrej Kavka nicely wrote:
> I would like to know how to synchronize time with muLinux (for use in
> Windows). I copied ntpdate and hwclock from another machine, however there
> is a problem with timezones (+1), so the hardware clock are set one hour
> behind. I searched the net and found possible solutions, however they
> don't seem to work in mu. I also tried to work with rdate, but wasn't able
> to find a libc5 binary and libc6 doesn't work with domain names (just like
> most other libc6 net binaries) and with IPs it screams errors..

To use an UNIX and a Windows OS on a single machine often may case
some troble in the timezone management.

As far I know, Windows expects BIOS time to be the local time; UNIX
prefers BIOS time set to Universal Time (UTC).
So, using standard Linux distros togheter with Linux, it is better
to choice "local time" in the BIOS clock.

In muLinux, the "date" command works differently: this is a simple
command in the busybox, patched by me to use the /etc/time.conf
file.

The 'date' command, in muLinux, add the value stored in /etc/time.conf
to the value got from the BIOS. So, in /etc/time.conf you have "-1",
'date' will shows BIOS-1.

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen