Re: [mu BUG] A bug in the 10.x serie (sorry)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 17:11:22 CET

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 02:53:01PM +0100, Arvid Nymoen nicely wrote:

> I have tried versions of mulinux since mu 2.4.1 (two years ago?).
> Versions 5.x and later have always been easy to set up on the first attempt.
> (Before mu I had only experienced that in a slightly similar project
> - the PicoBSD onedisk solution - but I prefer linux.) Now I experienced
> failure on my part to understand what was expected. I work with more than
> 100 collegues in an education/treatment centre for handicapped children,
> and I
> know for sure that none of them would understand what to do either. (I know
> it because part of my job is to help them with computing problems.)
>
> This is not a critisism of your impressive mulinux achievement, Michele.

No, no: no problems at all. Thank you for the report. It is this kind
of suggestion the helps me to make a better system.
I will add nameserver also in setup/isp.
You, knowing about previous release, are used to call "ppp" the
internet connection, but logically, for a total newbie, the word
"isp" is also more expressive, or I've to call it "internet"?

A "setup internet" may works for you?

Please, try to understand also the "programmer's point of view":
the code in the setup/network is common to 4-5 differents
network setup. This is the basic motivation.

> >> ... But Windows never fail - at least
> >> on my computers (I'm lucky!).
>
> >yes, you are lucky. In my case, Windows fail often, because I try
> >to use it as usually I use Linux: swapping fast from a window to
> >another and opening many apps. In this case, often, I get some
> >"unrecoverable error in module XYZ - contact the owner", or
> >somethink like.
>
> OK, I get those wellknown Blue Screens now and then, every Windows user
> does, I think. But nothing really nasty has happened. (Well, remembering
> back to the early 90s I once experienced a fault in a program under Win3.1
> that destroyed 1.100 files in one second...)

We have this virus also in Unix: it is called "rm -r" :-)

> I am sure I will appreciate the new features when I try them - and I know
> that the changes come because most of the participant on the mailing
> list wanted them it seems. So, continue the good work, you can never
> satisfy everyone..

I'm on the list of un-satisfied.

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen