Re: [mu TECH] Release numbers and homesite

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 22:04:34 CEST

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 10:37:59AM -0500, Austin Hair nicely wrote:

> Can you not add a symlink in the newer directories, perhaps with a small note that XXX package is unchanged from version XrY? It'd prevent the potential frustrated user who might be wandering around the tree trying to find the appropriate packages.

The problem is the mechanism I use to upload: I upload with a simple
shell script, based on the standard UNIX ftp command: the command read
ftp command via standard input.

This means: only standard FTP command are available (mkdir, ren, ls, ...).
I cannot make symlinks.

On the other hand, to move old archives in new directory requires
interactive usage, or a more smart script (with REN commands?)

The directory with the pattern "release-XrY" acts as a sort of patch-dir.

A different solution should be to add the XrY to any addons: a
solution discussed many time on this mailing list.
But in this case the DOSTOOLS.zip is not able to load every release, sorry.
And, finally, how to organize in this case the directory hierarchy on
the home site?