Re: Fdisk error

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (vessu@dlc.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 17:43:04 CEST

> Yikes.
>
> It looks like the swap partition is a primary partition, or fdisk thinks it
> should be,
> and so it's bumping the counter inappropriately. But it doesn't look (to my
> mostly
> inexperienced eyes) that the kernel is counting correctly either.
>
> from these this or this
>
> 1 151 dos hda1 hda1
> 152 272 linux swap hda2 hda2
> (hda3) unused
> 273 989 extended hda3 hda4
> 273 422 linux native hda4 hda5
> 423 989 linux native hda5 hda6

Well acording to Linux documentation that I have partition numbers
1-4 are PRIMARY PARTITIONS (extended partition counts as one)
and partition numbers 5-n are partitions inside extended partitions.
This is because a disk can never have more than 4 PRIMARY
PARTITIONS, and so if you would like to have more than 4
partitions you will need to create a extended partition.

And the hda1 is the primary partition (least if I remove lilo it boots
from it)

And please note that the dev/hda3 is accualy BEFORE the
dev/hda2 (and marked as being there on the orginal partition table,
reported bu Partition Magic, run under that other os(TM))

Kernel reports following at boot time:
Partition check
hda: hda1 hda2< hda5 hda6 > hda3

"We are the NORN. Your life as you knew it is over. Your biological and
technological identities will be added to our own. Bibble is irrelevant.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

http://creatures2.com http://creatures.co.uk

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili
E-mail: depili@sci.fi
ICQ#: 12379430