Re: Fdisk error

From: Sven Conrad (SvenConrad@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 19:50:52 CEST

Vesa-Pekka Palmu wrote:

> This probably has nothing to do with the mu itself but this is
> currently only Linux list where I could think of posting this message.

I guess, that is ok and may be more mulinux related as you think.

> On my laptop I have this mu 9R5 installation, disk with following
> partitions 1 Primary (/dev/hda1 housing dos and thinkpad utilities),
> 1 Extended (/dev/hda2) in wich are: two ŽLinux-native pratitions
> (/dev/hda5 & /dev/hda6) one linix-swap (/dev/hda3)
>
> The proplem is that fdisk reports partitions that are on the extended
> partition incorrectly, it says that they are /dev/hda5 & /dev/hda6.
> The kernel gives out correct partition information at boot time, my
> root is on /dev/hda5 (wich doen't exist acording to fdisk...) and my
> /home is on /dev/hda6
>
> So something changes the partition names between the kernel and
> fdisk.
>
> Any clues about this stange problem?

Sound like my fdisk problems. The cause is, that fdisk of mulinux is
very old and has problems with several disks (allways on > 8G).
In newer distributions, all this is working correct. I have looked for
a new version of fdisk and want to compile it for kernel 2.0.x
and libc5, but ran out of time. Maybe someone else has this allready
done.
The fact, that the kernel works correct is a hint, that realy fdisk
is the problem. This is the same simpthom I have seen, but never on
small HD's, but can be a 1024 Track related problem.

Please, can you send the physical and logical Parameters of the HD?

/sven