Re: [mu TECH] Forth interpreter / PFE

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 08:39:44 CEST

On 10 Jul 2000, at 21:28, Shawn Williamson <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk> wrote:

> I assume you've also looked at www.forth.org? PFE (Portable Forth
> Environment) is only 108k.

Yes, I've visited the "Forth Interest Group Home Page" several times, but have
not looked into PFE until now. Mostly I'm familiar with MsDos forths, like Tom
Zimmer's FPC and others.

muLinux's boot disk is already pretty crowded, (the exact amount of free space
is "classified", as M.A. says), so 108k is a bit larger than I was hoping for.
Which isn't to say PFE might not be an excellent forth. I'm looking for small
forths that are good as scripting languages. For example here's a link to
Albert van der Horst's 'lina', a linux FIG compatible forth with a 10K
executable...

http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst/lina.html

However the script interface for 'lina' is presently cumbersome, (I don't think
it has a file interface either...), so it seemed like it might be worth looking
around to see what else is out there.