Re: [mu TECH] a 'printf' trick for scripts

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 21:46:30 CEST

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 02:28:07PM -0400, Alfie Costa nicely wrote:

> Here's a BEFORE/AFTER example from 'rna' with another use of $CR with 'printf'.
> AFTER:
>
> <snip>
> fmt="%-15s: %s$CR"

This is the correct place where replace $CR with a good old ^L

> I'm still tweaking 'rna' though...

The orrendous script! I think not a good idea to amend this app a this
stage, and I will try to explain you why that's my opinion: my plan,
if I will gain more time, is to build a new kind of full-screen application,
based on the CGI web interface. Shortly, a set of web form able to
acts as mail-client, news-client, etc. There are a lot of Perl application
around the world which do this kind of stuff.

The big advantage is: you can manage your mailbox using (in local) lynx,
or (remotely) Netscape, in the same way you can use muRCP to configure
the system.

The plan is to develope a new kind of network command, using Perl:
sendmail.pl, fetchmail.pl, suck.pl, etc. Using powerfull perl module as
Net::MIME and Net::SMTP, I was able to send emails with attachment, using
a script of 20 rows!

This study-cases are in the directory /use/perl/demo:
in /usr/perl/demo/smtp you will find the perl script "manda", able to
delivery messages via SMTP, without pains.