Re: And what about linux-native partition install?

From: Unit 4 (unit4@i-plus.net)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 07:26:29 CEST

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:04:24 +0200, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

}Am Fre, 07 Jul 2000 schriebst Mark:
}
}> > Sorry if you mis-understood (my firts post wasn't that clear
}> > after all) but i want to create a ext2 file system on my
}> > laptop and have muLinux to "clone" to it.
}...
}> But careful: if what you really want is to create an ext2
}> filesystem _without_ distroying the dos-partition, you will
}> have to dive deep into readme-files about repartioning your
}> disk. The trick is to create the new partition on top of part
}> of the old one, while making sure all the data was somewhere
}> else at the time. With your fingers crossed. You find such
}> readme-files in any big distribution, and they always say
}> they take no responsibility if it doesn't work.
}
}That's a very good suggestion IMHO and I would like to add
}the following idea:
}
}Try to get a copy of that good french distribution Mandrake Linux
}cause they include a crippled version of Partition Magic that can
}do only ONE thing:
}
}- Shrink your existing DOS (Windows resp.) partition and create
} a new ext2 partition in the free space produced by shrinking.
}
}First you have to read the readme files of Mandrake Linux
}and use the DOS defragmentation utility as described there...
}

The old Slackware distro came with these instructions. I did it for
Slackware 2.1.

The program used is called FIPS. It's probably still available at some
linux FTP sites like sunsite.unc.edu

Defrag the drive and make all data contiguous, then repartition at a
position higher than the end of the data with this program.

As I recall, this was the only thing that worked right on my first
install.