Re: [muTech] Allocating ramdisks

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 22:21:48 CEST

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 09:34:53PM +0200, jef knoors nicely wrote:

> Michele, that is a very good idea.
> With the loader you could load any kind of addon, even an addon that is not
> listed in the base floppy.

In theory, the best solution is to put setup/*.fun and setup/*.cnf
in the addon archive.

But, now I expain you the problem: I can allocate dynamically the
first unused ramdisk for a new addon, but cannot know WHERE to mount
the ramdisk ( /usr, /usr/local, etc) without first unpacking.

A workaround might be:

1. allocate the first unused ramdisk
2. unpack addon in this ramdisk
3. mount the ramdisk in a fixed (for example: /addon)
4. to include /addon/etc/info, extracting real mount point
5. remoute the ramdisk on *real* mount point
6. run the "prolog" command in the addon

The boot process should be changed: in a very early stage,
we have to ask:

        while
        echo "put an addon on the floppy drive or [a]bort"
        finish if [a]
        load_addon
        done

and also to introduce a new command "load" or "addon", to load
a new addon at-demand.