Re: DHCP Problems

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 20:26:52 CEST

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 02:58:49PM +0000, ngcnet ngcnet nicely wrote:

> What I already did:
>
> I reinstall muLinux many times with many combinations of addons,
> at last I installed a red hat in this machine, the dhcp work.
> After I install a Linuxrouter Matherhorn and work very well.
> This tests seems to me that have a problem in DHCP of muLinux or I
> don't know how to configure it.

To keep track of all is difficult for me. Maybe, dhcp client in
muLinux do not work satisfactory. In the past, I tested dhcp client
and worked in my context.

In addiction, you are reporting only the fault, not the symptoms.
Please, increase the symptoms list. For example: activate the
kernel log and look in the directory /var/log. Believe me: this
directory can surrogate a lot of post on Linux newsgroups.

muLinux dhcp client was choosen for the same illustrious raison I
choosed all other muLinux binary: because its (small) size, but
it is old and work with unusual syntax.

All networking in muLinux is based on the infamous script /usr/bin/netconfig.
It do all, with the noble exclusion of loading network drivers.

Please: check:

                # netconfig stop
                # netconfig start

In the case DHCP=y, netconfig call `dhcpcd` command, with :

                # dhcpcd -c /usr/bin/netconfig

dhcpcd all newly "netconfig" itself, if all goes OK. I inserted a
waiting loop after dhcpcd call (30s). For example, do you saw the
fractured message:

                "Timeout, sorry. Please, wait for the acusting log."
                ???

dhcp put its info in the dir /etc/dhcpc: remove the contents and
do some try.