Re: mulinux on a large (non-floppy) drive

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 20:13:00 CEST

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 04:27:29PM +0200, Emmanuel Thiry nicely wrote:

> > I have both: a 100 mega zip floppy (it start from DOS with boot.bat) and
> > a CDROM, booting with el-torito.
> >
> > Michele
>
> Clone doesn't meet my needs. I, like Jerry Beckmann, want to have the
> bootable compressed image of mulinux on the disk on chip and run the system
> in RAM.

Surely, I will explain better: bin/roclone is different from bin/clone.
/bin/clone copy the filesystem at destination. /bin/roclone copy and
compress. It use two images: ROOT.gz and usr.img. root.gz is a little
muLinux able to mount usr.img as loop filesystem. usr.img contains ALL
/usr/* (then, all addons mounted).

On my CDROM and on my ZIP, there are only two compressed image: root.gz
and usr.img. Disk-on-chip is not different. You need of read-only cloning
on the disk-on-chip.

> I'm working on this issue right now. I will try to preserve the structure
> of modular addons, except that they will all be stored on the same media.

Obviously, the more desiderable solution is if you test and improve
/bin/roclone, or in alternative,
if you you will develope some other script useful FOR ALL muLinux users.

I call that "cooperation" and "contribution"; otherwise, that's only
"derivation".