Re: R: mulinux help needed

From: mjohnson@davesworld.net
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 21:06:37 CEST

I was using the DOSTOOLS.zip that way available until May 02 (replaced with new method). I had everything in a /mulinux directory and got the system to boot by hacking the INFO=[dosinstall] line in the installation so that I could boot my system. At this point I don't remember how I got the install up and running, I think I just let it fail and then rebooted with a "partial" system in place. I went through this process so many times I'm not sure how exactly I finally got mu to build me a boot+usr+root disk, and I could finally use that disk to run it.

I think INFO=prep-umsdos was the line I used ... I guessed that the INFO line was actually calling one of the rc.dosinstallation or rc.prep-something, and it gives you a different boot up screen.

At some point after cloning from disk, during configuration it asked me for a swap size, which I set to 20meg, and everything unpacked just fine.

Basically, you need a good BOOT+ROOT+IMG of 7r3 or 8r2 or whatever was done on the 25th or 27th of April, and to change the line that loads the s/w to
loadlin.exe mulinux initrd=root.gz vga=normal info=prep-umsdos clone the system that is on the disk, and you should be fine. My problem was that I downloaded the new DOSTOOLS.zip and lost the ability to load MULINUZ straight off the HD, and I didn't document what steps I went through, so I have to "discover" this again... it IS possible.

Mike