Re: [mu TECH] what's ASP?

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 17:32:46 CET

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 08:39:12AM -0700, Tom Poindexter nicely wrote:

> The Neowebscript-SA server in the Tcl Add-on can do 'asp-like' processing.
> Of course, you write your application code in Tcl, embedded in the
> web pages. For a simple example, start the Neowebscript server, and
> access the server with a browser. The server recognizes
> <nws>.....</nws> tags in html pages. Any text between these tags gets
> interpreted with Tcl's 'subst' command, which will replace $xxxx with
> the value of a Tcl variable, and [ ] will cause a Tcl script to be
> interpreted.

There is in Linux also a package called eperl: embedded perl. It works
probably in this way.

My problem is not to understand what ASP is from phenomenological point
of view -- it is scripting in HTML, as many told on the list -- but how
it compare with other embedded scripting: javascript, PHP3, etc.
In other words: I wish to know is the ASP programmer access more features,
as far OS command are concerned, compared to other scripting.