Re: [mu INSTALL] Greetings (Partitions!)

From: Unit 4 (unit4@i-plus.net)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 09:18:22 CET

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 02:57:12 +0100, Arvid Nymoen wrote:

}>I tried to get it running from I:\linux (hda7) but it was not recognized.
}>That is, it appeared to ecognize hda7 as valid, but "could not cd to
}>/linux" when I attempted the install.
}
}I'm a little uncertain regarding your partition "numbers":
}An unpartitioned disk is c: in DOS - /dev/hda1 in linux
}When a part is set aside as an Extended partition and
}that part is used as one undivided partition it is
}d: in dos - but - /dev/hda5 (!) in linux -
}If the extended partition is divided in smaller parts, they become
}e: DOS - /dev/hda6 in linux
}f: DOS - /dev/hda7 in linux
}- and so on. Your I: should then be /dev/hda10.

Quite so. The 4 possible primary partitions are "named" whether they are
used or not. Thanks.

}>Is this perhaps because it
}>recognizes C:\ as hda1 and all the extended partitions as hda2? That what
}>it looked like from the list of recognized drives.
}
}First check the list above.
}Next (as Michele said) check the file loadlin.cfg
}which is the same directory as the linux.bat file.
}The first two lines of the loadlin.cfg fil may look like these:
}
}startup\boot\mulinuz
}root=/dev/hda7 <<<<<< For your mulinux on i: the line shall perhaps
} be changed to:
}root=/dev/hda10
}
}I hope this helps.