Re: [OT] Installing muLinux from floppy

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 00:43:13 CET

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 09:52:22PM -0000, Owen Kelly nicely wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a trivial question, but is it possible to get mulinux to boot from a
> hard disk, rather than a floppy?

muLinux ran in RAM, but can be "cloned" in HD. Recent muLinux run also
from read-only devices. Please, issue "clone" a the prompt but, first,
issue "help" and read any doc you find, or you destroy your data.

>Ive been trying with tomsrtbt disk, to no
> success, but Im no guru either. I have an old 486 laptop with 8 megs of
> ram, and a 4 gig disk, but no OS on the disk, Id primarily like to use Linux
> on it and run it as a web server in a tiny little corner of my office, but I
> havent had much luck getting things to run so far. What I basically want to
> do is have a minimal OS on the disk, and perhaps add in the extras disks
> from muLinux to also end up on the hard disk aswell.

muLinux is perfect for that. But if you has no OS on your first disk,
you have to install LILO on it, to boot muLinux.

1) issue, clone and select Ext2 model of cloning
2) specify /dev/null when clone ask you for a BOOT partition

When cloning process finished, issue

        # liloconfig

this will put LILO on your bootable disk.

If you got problem installing LILO, use the first floppy to start
muLinux. When the string "boot:" appairs, write that:

                boot: mulinux root=/dev/hdxy

If your disk is primary, and has only a partition,

                        root=/dev/hda1

do the work.

> Is there a simple way to do this? Or am I being naive, and someone else has
> already documented it? ;)

Thousand people cloned muLinux: I hope it works also for you.