Re: [mu WIN98] Win98 Installation

From: Clive Wright (clive_wright@telinco.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 23:10:02 CET

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 08:14:32PM +0000, Clive Wright nicely wrote:
> >
> > If win98 fdisk is anything like its predecessor suggest "fdisk /mbr"
>
> Partitions table is ok. I copied the win98 installation from the
> notebook to the server. Now win98 boot, but configuration files
> contains setting for another computer.
> Win98 start in "provvisory mode", but without any king of program
> on the desktop. I need of a set of clean *.ini.

In windows folder delete hidden files system.da0 and user.da0
also rename system.dat and user.dat to system.bak and user.bak
Copy \system.1st to \windows\system.dat
All above files are hidden so change properties in explorer or use
attrib -s -r -h to reveal them.
Then reboot.
You should be prompted for the win 98 setup disk but it should only set
up device drivers etc.
Any previously installed application programs will still be there but
they may not run correctly without reinstallation as all their registry
setting will be in the .bak files and therefore unavailable to them.