Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 7r5beta bug report (/etc/mtab)

From: Dave Houghton (davehoughton@mulinux.free-online.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 00:38:49 CET

On 28 Dec 1999, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 11:27:10AM +0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:
>>
>> or use
>> cat /etc/mtab | rgrep -v none >/etc/mtab
>> instead of my previous fractured reasoning. This will strip out all /proc entries from mtab while leaving any mounted entries intact. This should satisfy all requirements including LOOP.
>
>Sorry, please re-explain me: the multiple entry was referred to /proc,
>or to / ?

We are getting multiple /proc entries in /etc/mtab. When the /proc
filesystem is unmounted at the end of linuxrc the proc entry is not
removed from /etc/mtab so at each boot /etc/mtab grows by one /proc
entry. Using the above rgrep line in /etc/rc.4, immediately before
remounting the root f/s and mounting the /proc f/s, strips all lines
begining with none i.e all /proc entries. When the /proc is mounted
we then end up with only one /proc entry in /etc/mtab which is what we
need.

>> Simple when you don't use cat /dev/zero > /dev/brain
>>

>I suggest a less drastic "badblock /dev/brain".

Yes but unfortunately I've got a few permanent bad blocks in
/dev/brain since my recent little accident. In this case reformatting
is futile :((

>Michele

------
Dave g0mxw