Re: linux.html is a waste of space

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 23:25:10 CET

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 08:48:00PM +0000, Clive Wright nicely wrote:

> We now includes me: I unpacked it (./mu -u) to edit linux.html and noted
> gzip's output to stderr:
> "gzip: /home/clive/mu7r6/tmp/ROOT.gz: decompression OK, trailing garbage
> ignored"
> What has happened Michele?

This is OK, don't worry. I added, at the and of this archive, a microscopical
segment on null, for a complex raison to explain.

I've to put in BOOT the exact position in bytes for the next segment ROOT
and USR. When "mu" run, it can't know the exact dimension of ROOT.gz,
because "mu" itself add some bytes in /etc/info etc. I enlarge artificially
the ROOT, wasting 1k at the end, for safety.

        # dd if=ROOT.tmp bs=${ROOT_SIZE}k conv=sync count=1 of=ROOT.gz

Look a the option conv=sync id "dd". It tell to "dd" to emit a fixed
pre-fixed amount of bytes, irrispective of ROOT.tmp size, the REAL
archive. A dirty hack!

Anycase, root.gz is uncompressed by the kernel: the gzip() routine in
the kernel is less precious of gzip itself, therefore no error message
in the boot.