Re: startup problems

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 18:30:05 CET

jeremy@visi.com wrote:

> If your mail server (which is probably run by your ISP) has even been
> an open relay (accepts mail from anywhere, and forwards it on), it has
> likely been blacklisted. The only way to get off the list is to get
> your mail administrator to make changes, and then PROVE to the RBL or
> ORBS people that he's no longer a relay. If they've ever had dialup
> users spam people...well...it's even harder.

Ok, with newfound understanding gained from your message, I looked at
the error message I got when trying to subscribe to the mulinux list
and, sure enough,

> 451 Open relay - see
> http://www.orbs.org/verify.cgi?address=aaa.bbb.cc.ddd

So I clicked on the url and got

> aaa.bbb.cc.ddd is not in the automated open relay database

Is it possible that the system at sunsite.auc.dk is faulty and treating
numbers not in the database as if they were? I've had no response to my
mail to their postmaster.

Regards,

Stephen Isard