Re: startup problems

From: jeremy@visi.com
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 17:26:29 CET

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 12:29:48PM +0000, Stephen Isard wrote:

> You are fuelling my latent paranoia :-)
>
> I realise this is getting a bit off-topic for this list, but what should
> I look for the header?

Well, there's not much you can look for there.

> And how could I (as a manifest good guy) get on
> someone's list of bad guys? Is there a way of finding out whether I am
> on such a list?

If your mail server (which is probably run by your ISP) has even been
an open relay (accepts mail from anywhere, and forwards it on), it has
likely been blacklisted. The only way to get off the list is to get
your mail administrator to make changes, and then PROVE to the RBL or
ORBS people that he's no longer a relay. If they've ever had dialup
users spam people...well...it's even harder.

These lists are marked by the fact that it's easy to get someone
put on them, and hard to take them off.

ORBS is at http://www.orbs.org
The RBL is at http://maps.vix.com/rbl/

RBL is better than ORBS. The ORBS guys are a bunch of militant
jerks who would prefer that no one ANYWHERE have mail servers, lest
they get spammed once in a while. This is more commonly known as
throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Paul Vixie has a more
enlightened approach (he runs RBL), but I still don't like the
concept.

Both web pages should have instructions on how to get off their
list, and how to verify that your mail server is on their list.

Look in your email setup, and you should be able to see what
your outgoing mail server is (SMTP server). Check for that host
in the RBL and ORBS list.

> Is there any way of getting them to stop blackening my
> name? (If you don't want to clutter up the mulinux correspondence with
> such a discussion, you could mail me directly - just delete the
> anti-spam "DeleteThis" from the address in the header.)

MuLinux is high enough volume that I don't feel too bad about one more
message. Of course, if I'm getting annoying, I trust the other readers
will email me and tell me to shut my big yapper.

Good Luck!

Jeremy