Re: Modem not responding in Mulinux v6r4.

From: winsor (winsor@wi.net)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 13:00:50 CET

Vieira Netto wrote:

> Hello World Of Mulinux!
>
> Hello Winsor,
>
> Thanks, you are trying!
>
> winsor escreveu:
> >
> > Can you login at under 19,200K???
>
> YES, using miterm and ppp-on, both work fine.
> I receive "Login:" and can login, and ppp-on recognize "ogin:" and
> connects ok?
>
> But, if I say its going to be a 57.6 connection
> I receive only "ááááááá". on screen and characters are changed in
> transmit way too.
> This way ppp-on cant recognize "ogin:" string and connection doesnt
> happen.
>
> > It almost sounds like you've configured PAP or CHAP in which case you
> > shouldn't need to login as the login is done automatically via the
> > scripts........
>
> No, not this way, unrecognized characters happen just before Login
> prompt.
>
> > using regular minicom under linux....after a ppp
> > connection is established you see garbage being generated on the minicom
> > screen......I personally take this as a sign that PPP has been
> > established......and fire up my browser*grin*
>
> Understand now?
>

> > Good Luck
>
> You mean buy a new modem and Good Luck, ;-)))
> My pockets are a little bit empty

No:), I don't mean buy a new modem.......I also use USR products.
But sometimes I have to "relearn things" as there is just so much to
learn.....I'll look through my books this evening and see if there's
anything about these "strange characters" in them...chances are there
just might be, along with a simple fix.........ah details, deatails.
I seem to have read that USR used a "modified AT" command set...
but can't remember where....
 I'd think that in this case "good luck" means
Don't give up based on the words of one old fool;)

signed
winsor