Re: [mu] Mainstreamed??

From: Michele Andreoli (quisque@tin.it)
Date: Sat Sep 18 1999 - 00:51:56 CEST

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 01:50:11PM -0400, Franz wrote:

> I understood that muLinux (incl. scripts) is published under the GNU General Public License.
> If this is wrong, please, please correct me!
>
> GNU GPL makes software free, as in freedom to use, distribute, modify, etc. It does _NOT_
> guarantee that software is free as in free beer! As long as the seller makes available the source
> code of any binaries, he/she is free to sell it at any price desired.

You are perfectly right: that's the foundament of any Linux distribution,
via CD-ROM, via magazines, etc.

This is what I wrote in copyright.txt file:

    Copyright (C) 1998
                        by Michele Andreoli <andreoli@pisoft.it>
                           Pontedera (Pisa) - Italy

    (at your option) any later version.

    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

    Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

This is free software: spread it if you want, but keep the package
complete and unmodified. Do not use any code from this package without
mentioning the source in your docs and advertisement. Do not use any of
this code in Commercial Software/Commercial Packages, without permission.

GPL apply as default, but my addendum also apply, so far concerned to
advertisement to me. But "do not use ... without permission" surely
break GPL license, strictly speaking -- therefore, the mine isn't a full
GPL, but a GPL with addendum. Ok, the addendum is a stupid thing: to limit
the free use to non-commercial isn't possible in fact, but an e-mail
to me should be accepted as a sort of kindness.

My affliction is not to pay for muLinux, but the idea that someone
could suppose myself involved in this e-commerce does!

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
 Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen