[mu PROGRESS] muLinux site, laptop and other

From: Michele Andreoli (andreoli@pisoft.it)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 18:14:34 CEST

Hi,

With some torment, upload to SunSITE succeeded. If no other problems
occurring, we can to proclaime the SunSITE as primary site. I will use
FLUG from experimental/beta release. Internet is world-wide and physical
location is not matter. Because my wishes, anycase, are to contribute
to italian Linux culture and diffusion, I would like to continue calling
the little muLinux an "italian project", anche se ci credono solo gli
stranieri.

I buyed a nice notebook (ACER Extensa 503T) and plain to use my domestic
(two point) ethernet LAN for testing phase improvement.
This machine contains, by itself, 80% of whole techology installed
in my home :)

The only problem was during the preliminar phase is been shrinking the
only existing partition. This notebook comes with WIN98 preinstalled :(
and a recovery CD. When you try to reinstall from recovery CD, after
fdisk-ing with muLinux, the nice recovery.exe erase any data, removing
other partitions and other OS. Very nice, Microsoft!

To avoid this little problem, I installed first NT 4.0 on /dev/hda1,
then installed WIN98 by hand in /dev/hda2 (created with Linux fdisk).
With this trick, win98, nicely, has preserved NT partition. Finally,
I arrangerd NT boot loader (boot.ini) for manage NT, Win98 and Linux.

I plan to install Linux in some high order partition.
Adding some other OS in boot.ini is easy: it's enough to take the
boot segment from the partition. Ex:

                # dd if=/dev/hda2 of=win98.mbr bs=512 count=1

The, you have to transport the file win98.mbr (with a dos floppy)
on NT filesystem, and add the following line to boot.ini:

                c:\win98.mbr="Debian GNU/Linux"

You don't will trust in me, boys, but NT and Win98, coming both from
the same Software House, don't recognize own filesystems! Win98 can't
see the NT disks! If you wish install NT over Win98, you MUST convert
win98 FAT32 in FAT16! Oh, my God. Linux install everywhere and can
see anything.

I tried the ntfs.o module for 2.0.36 and work: we can mount NT partition,
but read-only. No problems for win98 FAT32.

The audio card requires OPL3: I have to recompile the kernel for this,
and for APM and PCMCIA support. The bad news: pc-speaker module dont'
work on Extensa. Why?

When my penetration of pcmcia subsystem will done and when I will be tired
in tapping on those 4 windowlets pale growing, the good work
should be started.

My project is

        - improving access to Win NT shares
        - remote printing on NT printers
         - PCMCIA ethernet support
        - APM? USB ?

Ciao,

Mi sarebbe piaciuto concludere con un'affermazione positiva, ma
non me ne vengono in mente. Vanno bene due negative?
						-- Woody Allen