Re: A simple question (or two!)

From: Michele Andreoli (andreoli@pisoft.it)
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 20:32:46 CET

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 12:57:42PM +0000, Michael Jarvis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how to start X? I am new to Linux / Unix
> and am interested in finding out its potential. I can find the
> startx file in the /usr/X11R6/bin directory but typing the filename
> does nothing. Do I have to 'mount' something ? Is there a
> configuration problem ? Should I try downloading the code again ?

Oh, the VERY annoyng question! Anyway, X-Window requires a working
mouse to start. Look at /var/log/startx.log and report us relevant
errors.

> I have noticed that sometimes when I boot up the /usr directory does
> not appear, usually when I ask the computer to configure a swap file.
> Why is this, and how does this affect the operation of X ?

No. Issue "mount". What you can see? If you are in RAM, you see
the /usr disk mounted?

Ciao!

Mi sarebbe piaciuto concludere con un'affermazione positiva, ma
non me ne vengono in mente. Vanno bene due negative?
						-- Woody Allen