A simple question (or two!)

From: Michael Jarvis (michael@myrica.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 13:57:42 CET

Hello,

Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how to start X? I am new to Linux / Unix
and am interested in finding out its potential. I can find the
startx file in the /usr/X11R6/bin directory but typing the filename
does nothing. Do I have to 'mount' something ? Is there a
configuration problem ? Should I try downloading the code again ?

I have noticed that sometimes when I boot up the /usr directory does
not appear, usually when I ask the computer to configure a swap file.
Why is this, and how does this affect the operation of X ?

Can anyone recommend a Linux tutorial / book / website / etc ?

A lot of questions, I know, but I would really appreciate some help.

Cheers.

Mike Jarvis,
Edinburgh, Scotland.