Re: muLinux and Samba

From: Andrea Manzini (linux@netbusiness.it)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 20:55:32 CET

On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 06:54:05PM +0000, Michele Andreoli wrote:

> A mistake, sorry: tested with win95/win3.11 share. I have no NT machine
> for testing purpose. I don't know if NT share mounting need of NTFS
> support. If yes, is not understandable for me, that.

I've tried it with success at work :) Network mounting NT shares don't need
NTFS support, as it works even from Win3.1, which don't understand NTFS. A
server (even NT ones) must provide transparent access to his disks without
requiring thek client to know his filesystems, do you agree ?

AFAIK the ugly M$ SMB (netbeui) protocol hasn't changed much from WFW3.11 to NT4. But,
as you can read in WinNt.txt that comes with samba (see samba homepage),
there can be a problem with encrypted passwords and shared printers, nothing
difficult if you can change some user priviledge configuration on the NT
machine.

--
   Andrea Manzini    | "Tristo è quel discepolo che non supera il
linux@netbusiness.it |  suo maestro" (Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519)