[mu TECH] GCC is not so good :(

From: Michele Andreoli (andreoli@pisoft.it)
Date: Sat Jan 30 1999 - 15:33:39 CET

Hi folks,

GCC floppy addon go to /dev/null (trash). Ok, If we want, I can
release any way a GCC floppy, but gcc-2.7.0 is not so good as hoped.
Only text-based packages compile well, no termcap, no curses libs:
hello-world C programs, math, sound, ioctl(), etc...

We cannot use this compiler for expand yourself muLinux, downloading
modern TGZ around the NET. So ...

I can build this GCC later; nothing against it, but is intended only for
learning purpose: yacc, lex, make, etc. work very well.
No further support is in project.

A more exciting task for me is to work on first floppy, using floppy #2
as expansion: I cannot work in too directions and I wish put a limit
to floppy addons proliferations!

                                *******

Well: I found a older version of X-Window (3.1, instead of 3.2) without
xkb extension: about 400-500k smaller! With this unattended free-space
I can put in X11: chimera, afterstep, mpgeg player, playmidi, ET CETERA.

Yes, chimera 2.0alpha14 support only GIF, but I can put a "on-the-fly"
proxy converter for jpg, developing wrapper-scripts based on "chimera" as
image-viewer under X.

With this tiny-X, the project of QNX generation from a working muLinux
is possible: after cloning, muLinux procreate via MEIOSIS!

Comment appreciated.

-Michele-

--
Mi sarebbe piaciuto concludere con un'affermazione positiva, ma
non me ne vengono in mente. Vanno bene due negative?