Re: DOS installation proggy

From: Andrea Manzini (linux@netbusiness.it)
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 01:50:38 CET

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> > > What about that?
> > >
> > > It would require not more than a slight modification of mu and the
> > > creation of a DOS superformating tool based on the original sources.
>
> > you'll also need to port to msdos the linux floppy driver source,
> > to bypass the BIOS limitations of pc that cannot superformat in dos...
>
> It this really true, have you exact information concerning this?
>
> Is the BIOS truly unable to format 1722K Disks or might it be possible
> to adjust the drive parameter table and then call the BIOS format
> interrupt?

the dos superformatter that were using Michele for the old versions
wasn't working for the same reason. Since on the same pc, a linux kernel
is able to superformat, i guess that the matter is in the BIOS :)

BTW, the well known utility 2M works by driving directly the hardware,
thus bypassing BIOS. With this utility, perhaps we can use some
parameters similar to linux's superformat. With 2M I was able to format
bulk diskettes up to 1835 kb, dos filesystem included ;)