Re: DOS installation proggy (was: Re: muLinux is THE PERFECT Linux distribution for the new user)

From: Michele Andreoli (andreoli@pisoft.it)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 14:09:09 CET

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 08:04:39AM +0000, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> What about another approach: perhaps it would be more suitable for a
> pure DOS-installation
> to have a little DOS program that could do the job of the mu install
> kernel?
>
> Maybe i am wrong(?) but at my opinion a small tool of about 30 KB
> (e.g. written by me in good old Turbo Pascal 4.0) could do the same
> job for us as the huge linux install kernel of about 300 KB?
>
> What do you think about this idea? Please comment extensively!
>
> C++ is fine and mighty but Pascal is the language i love!

You're right. This very beginning task of muLinux kernel consist
in that:
                1) superformat the floppy
                2) cat BOOT ROOT.gz USR.bz2 > /dev/fd0H1722

Older muLinux versions did step 1) with a spare DOS superformatter and
2) with a bare

                c:> copy /B BOOT+ROOT.gz+USR.bz2

Step 1) (in DOS version) is difficult, because the dos-superformatter
is inefficient for some floppy-controller. Some user reported it
work (E. Cavalli, for ex.).

Now, I think, You cannot write a TurboPascal program superformatter,
is true?

Ok: We can skip the "floppy intermediate step" and install directly
the image in a UMSDOS form. Ahia: you must script "bzip2" in
TurboPascal! If You do that, what you think of "umssync" command
required for build the UMSDOS file-system? "Abortito!", diceva Toto'.

Ok: I can distribute a special DOS image of muLinux. I can install
muLinux in my c:\linux, with X11 segment embedded, and pkzip
them in a mulinux-umsdos.zip. Dos installer can install with a bare

                pkunzip mulinux-umsdos.zip

This is the "tomsrtbt" solution (?).

Ma this ".zip" is 5-6 Mega, I believe, while DOSTOOLS.zip is only 500K
(with a "monster" installer-kernel, grow to 700-800k).

In conclusion: my dream is ONE distribution for TWO world, DOS e Linux.
Work described is a work for a true OS :))
-Michele-

--
Mi sarebbe piaciuto concludere con un'affermazione positiva, ma
non me ne vengono in mente. Vanno bene due negative?