Subject: CVE-2021-47399: ixgbe: Fix NULL pointer dereference in ixgbe_xdp_setup

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ixgbe: Fix NULL pointer dereference in ixgbe_xdp_setup

The ixgbe driver currently generates a NULL pointer dereference with
some machine (online cpus < 63). This is due to the fact that the
maximum value of num_xdp_queues is nr_cpu_ids. Code is in
"ixgbe_set_rss_queues"".

Here's how the problem repeats itself:
Some machine (online cpus < 63), And user set num_queues to 63 through
ethtool. Code is in the "ixgbe_set_channels",
	adapter->ring_feature[RING_F_FDIR].limit = count;

It becomes 63.

When user use xdp, "ixgbe_set_rss_queues" will set queues num.
	adapter->num_rx_queues = rss_i;
	adapter->num_tx_queues = rss_i;
	adapter->num_xdp_queues = ixgbe_xdp_queues(adapter);

And rss_i's value is from
	f = &adapter->ring_feature[RING_F_FDIR];
	rss_i = f->indices = f->limit;

So "num_rx_queues" > "num_xdp_queues", when run to "ixgbe_xdp_setup",
	for (i = 0; i < adapter->num_rx_queues; i++)
		if (adapter->xdp_ring[i]->xsk_umem)

It leads to panic.

Call trace:
[exception RIP: ixgbe_xdp+368]
RIP: ffffffffc02a76a0  RSP: ffff9fe16202f8d0  RFLAGS: 00010297
RAX: 0000000000000000  RBX: 0000000000000020  RCX: 0000000000000000
RDX: 0000000000000000  RSI: 000000000000001c  RDI: ffffffffa94ead90
RBP: ffff92f8f24c0c18   R8: 0000000000000000   R9: 0000000000000000
R10: ffff9fe16202f830  R11: 0000000000000000  R12: ffff92f8f24c0000
R13: ffff9fe16202fc01  R14: 000000000000000a  R15: ffffffffc02a7530
ORIG_RAX: ffffffffffffffff  CS: 0010  SS: 0018
 7 [ffff9fe16202f8f0] dev_xdp_install at ffffffffa89fbbcc
 8 [ffff9fe16202f920] dev_change_xdp_fd at ffffffffa8a08808
 9 [ffff9fe16202f960] do_setlink at ffffffffa8a20235
10 [ffff9fe16202fa88] rtnl_setlink at ffffffffa8a20384
11 [ffff9fe16202fc78] rtnetlink_rcv_msg at ffffffffa8a1a8dd
12 [ffff9fe16202fcf0] netlink_rcv_skb at ffffffffa8a717eb
13 [ffff9fe16202fd40] netlink_unicast at ffffffffa8a70f88
14 [ffff9fe16202fd80] netlink_sendmsg at ffffffffa8a71319
15 [ffff9fe16202fdf0] sock_sendmsg at ffffffffa89df290
16 [ffff9fe16202fe08] __sys_sendto at ffffffffa89e19c8
17 [ffff9fe16202ff30] __x64_sys_sendto at ffffffffa89e1a64
18 [ffff9fe16202ff38] do_syscall_64 at ffffffffa84042b9
19 [ffff9fe16202ff50] entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe at ffffffffa8c0008c

So I fix ixgbe_max_channels so that it will not allow a setting of queues
to be higher than the num_online_cpus(). And when run to ixgbe_xdp_setup,
take the smaller value of num_rx_queues and num_xdp_queues.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2021-47399 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.0 with commit 4a9b32f30f80 and fixed in 5.10.71 with commit 20f6c4a31a52
	Issue introduced in 5.0 with commit 4a9b32f30f80 and fixed in 5.14.10 with commit 2744341dd52e
	Issue introduced in 5.0 with commit 4a9b32f30f80 and fixed in 5.15 with commit 513e605d7a9c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2021-47399
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_ethtool.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/20f6c4a31a525edd9ea6243712b868ba0e4e331e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2744341dd52e935344ca1b4bf189ba0d182a3e8e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/513e605d7a9ce136886cb42ebb2c40e9a6eb6333