[video] Need some information, please

Hello, everybody. I am a PhD Computer Engineering student at the University
of Texas at El Paso. I am currently working on  building a controller, so
that I can use a laptop LCD screen for some of my projects. One of these
projects is to build a converter that will take DVI or VGA as input and
drive the laptop screen as display for a normal computer. But I would like
to take advantage of the relatively low price of laptop screens in general
(about $100 for 14 in TFT displays) to enhance the usefulness of other
projects.
My dilemma is that I do not know how these LCD screens interface to the
graphics chip on the laptops in general. I was hoping that there is some
standard for this, since there are very few graphics chip manufacturers for
laptops. ATI and NVIDIA come to mind. Also, I would imagine that laptop
manufacturers want to be able to easily switch suppliers.

So how does one interface to these LCD screens? There is a VGA/LCD core on
opencores.org that I was hoping to leverage in some projects with laptop
LCDs.

Can anyone shed some light on the issue?

Thank you,

Jan Beck