Re: [openppc] CINEMA TONIGHT

Adam Kowalczyk wrote:
> Is this mailing list that empty?

OK, here's something a bit more in line with the purpose of
the list than social calendars. :-)

I'm planning to design a new motherboard for the Apple Network
Servers.  These are nice machines, but the fastest processor
it can accomodate is a 200MHz PPC604e.  They also use parity
FPM DIMMs which are almost as rare as diamonds.  I would like
to design a motherboard with dual ZIF sockets for G4 processors
and uses SDRAM (preferably DDR).  Since the ANS motherboard is
HUGE, I believe I can design constrain all the circuitry to an
area equal to an ATX motherboard but have extra fiberglass that
fills in the space of the ANS motherboard and provides all of
the necessary interconnects.  In this way, I would be killing
two birds with one stone. Maybe.  At the very least, it should
be possible to re-use the design if not the PCB layout.

So why am I wasting your time?  Because I would appreciate
your input on what features you would like to see on a PPC
motherboard for server class machines.  I've created a form
on the ANSUG web site where you can rank the importance of
various features as well as suggest a price for a complete
motherboard minus the G4 ZIFs.  Here is the URL for the form.

  http://www.xavax.com/ans/anspoll.html

I will post the results on this list and the ANS list.

--
Phil Harbison