Re: [openppc] PowerPC based Desktops

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:03:49PM -0500, Henry Keultjes wrote:
> It's been awhile since I wrote "Perfect Pair - PowerPC and Linux".
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/articles/conversations/0027.html
>
> Obviously the PowerPC is doing well in servers and embedded applications like settop boxes.  That said, has anyone on this list noticed an increased willingness on the parts of the PowerPC players, IBM and Motorola, to produce the SoCs or discretes that system builders need to compete with Intel on the desktop?
>
> Is the lack of applications that will run on a PowerPC platform an issue that is preventing PowerPC on the desktop from becoming reality?
>

> Obviously there is the price issue.  Volume issues aside, is there a
fundamental reason that a desktop SoC with a PowerPC core has to be more
expensive than such a SoC with a Pentium core?

I think it's just volume, and cost of developing a 'north bridge' chip.

There are, however, a number of nice PPC SOC.. the 8xx cpus from Motorola
have ethernet, and a whole bunch of other perphipherals on-chip. IBM 4xx
powerpc's do also.

If anyone is not away of it already, Marvell Technologies (formerly
galileo), has a rather nice 'north bridge' that has versions for BOTH mips
and PowerPC CPU's.

http://www.marvell.com/Internet/Products/Product_Family/1,2413,1-4,00.html

--
Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer@drgw.net